Thursday 23 July 2015

Painting Miniatures from A to Z by Angel Giraldez



It was late last month that I saw an offer on the Internet to pick up this book at a reduced price. I had already looked at buying the book but thought it a little too specialized for me. The offer was enough to make me change my mind.

Painting Miniatures from A to Z by Angel Giraldez - Masterclass volume 1 is a step-by-step, project-by-project record of one man's painting of a selection of Infinity/Corvus Belli Miniatures, unlike other painting guides and I immediately think of the Kevin Dallimore guides, this book is, I believe for the more advanced figure painter. The techniques swap between airbrush and brush between projects and in some instances steps on the same figure. Because of this I was initially unsure if the book was for me. However I think the 'fantastical stylised' paint schemes and techniques are well worth studying and trying to emulate. Either with or without an airbrush!

The book is a card-bound* A4 feast of colour from start to finish and follows the traditional layout of Introduction, Products Used and Tips followed by more techniques and eleven very in-depth articles or Masterclasses. The final section is a Gallery of earlier projects/figures.

*I believe that there is also a hard-backed version of the book.

This is a book to be read as a technical manual, following each step by reading the comments and studying the illustrations, this really is a 'step-by-step' tutorial with hundreds of beautiful illustrations, sometimes showing only the very slightest of washes or brush strokes, while other times moving on at quite a pace. Sit back and enjoy.

My edition came with a free miniature, although I am uncertain that this is the case with every book. I am not going to paint this mini up at the moments as I have 'other' painting projects on the go, but have been inspired to try out some painting techniques and in particular 'break-out' my airbrush to see if I can replicate some of the stunning effects.

The Infinity range and this particular painting style is like Marmite, many either love it or hate it. I think I am in the 'don't like it that much' group. But am willing to read about new techniques and see how others paint their figures.

I believe that this book will appeal to some, but be overlooked by many.

The big question is would I have bought this book at full price? And I think not. This is a personal view and others might disagree, but as a one-off and discounted purchase I am more than happy, so I would advise shopping around if you are looking for a copy.

Finally, I want to wish Angel all the best and thank him for producing such a stunning and beautifully illustrated book.

Tony

Painting Miniatures from A to Z by Angel Giraldez
Masterclass Volume 1
Published in collaboration with Corvus Belli and Vallejo
ISBN 978-84-942798-4-3
The book can be bought over the internet from a wide range of suppliers

A Youtube Introduction - can be found here
The Angel Giraldez Blog can be found here

No comments: