Friday 27 July 2012

Bange and Oafson - part six

The Trolkin twins, Bange and Oafson from Alternative Armies (LE045), finished.  I have painted the base in my usual manner, varnished the miniatures with Ronseal Gloss Varnish and then two coats of Galleria Acrylic Matt Varnish before adding some clumps of static grass applied over uPVA glue.

Photo One - The Twins.


Photo Two - Bange. The miniature has been slightly modified from the original casting with higher trousers, a revised rear jacket and some Green Stuff buttons.  I painted the spectacles with a bright pink colour as it is well know that Bange sees the world of Valon 'through Rose coloured glasses!'


Photo Three - Oafson. The 'brute' and armed with the modified lance. Once again the casting has been remodelled with Green Stuff.


Photo Four - A rare view of the rear of these two Trolkin showing the conversions and painting.


Photo Five - A different view, with Oafson having yet another disagreement with his twin and Bange left wondering what it is that has upset his brother.


These Limited Edition miniatures are available from Alternative Armies, for full details go to this link.

I have already commented, that with this pair of figures I was trying a new painting technique. One that I feel did not suit my own painting style, however the Block Painting/Wash technique did work for the grey skin tones (Trolkin are supposed to be 'as tough as granite'), so I would have to admit that it has been a partial success.

The Pledge 2012, has so far, moved along quite quickly. However unlike earlier months I have (at least so far) not chosen a subject for the August Pledge.  This may change, but also it will be good to have a month off.

Tony

4 comments:

Rob Alderman said...

Fantastic work Tony, they look brilliant! A shame to hear you did not find the block painting, wash then successive layer highlighting worked for you! I think it is perhaps best to stick with what works! If it 'ain't broke!!!

Cheers again
Rob

Tony said...

Hi Rob,

Not so much that it didn't work, more that I was not comfortable with it.

I do think that the stone faces worked well with the Block Painting and Wash. I just felt less at home when painting the uniform.

You may have seen how Fog Soldier used this technique - even more of a heavy wash than your style.

Isn't it great that so many miniature painters have so many different painting styles?

Tony

Tony said...

Sorry Rob,

meant to say that I enjoyed your sculpting on these two. Very well done.

I hope you don't mind that I fiddled with them and added some detail to the castings.

'You know me - I just can't leave a Flintloque mini stock.'

Tony

Rob Alderman said...

Hi Tony, no, of course I don't mind! I think it's important that people make models their own in whatever way they like!

They are wonderfully painted and the details you have added have really improved them.

Cheers again! Glad you enjoyed them.
Rob