Monday 26 October 2009

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Over the last twenty years I have read all (nearly all) of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. It would be difficult to choose my favourite as all have some fond memories, however Monstrous Regiment has to one of my favourites. Then this weekend at the Toy Soldier Show, I was in discussion about books based on Black Powder fantasy and I found myself recommending this book. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE - Mark!

Monstrous Regiment - the 31st Discworld book and in my opinion one of his best. But as stated above, it is so difficult to choose a 'best' amongst so many greats. I also found my self reviewing the story - searching the Net for a suitable quote, but with this particular story it is so difficult to do without giving away main threads of the story. You will just have to take my work for it and go out and buy a copy!

Given the content of this Blog, I would be amazed if Pratchett was not known to my followers, however any one who is yet to discover the wonders of this author should go out now and buy a Discworld book - you will not be disappointed.

Tony

4 comments:

BaronVonJ said...

Can you classify it as Black Powder fantasy. They use crossbows. Not any actual black powder.
-J
p.s. I love this book too, but think I like the Temeraire (Dragons in Napoleonic times) series better.

Tony said...

I would say that it could be seen as a Black Powder themed work. But I agree not Black Powder enough for a true Flintloque style background.

On the subject of such themed books - I have tried to get-into the book Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (sort of magic during the Napoleonic wars) with little success. Has anyone else read this book and have any comments?

Tony

BaronVonJ said...

Got a new one for you. "Leviathan". see at my blog:
http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/2009/11/leviathan.html

rohit said...

Must be an enjoyable read Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.