Thursday 22 January 2009

Christmas 2008 Project - The Amber Shrine Board part thirteen

The first two photos show the stonework basecoated and washed. The paint used was Anita's Acrylic Craft Paint and was applied with a large round brush. The next stage will be drybrushing with lighter greys.


The two colours used for the base are un-diluted Burnt Umber 11027 and Charcoal 11086, mixed in a ratio of one part Burnt Umber to five or six parts Charcoal. (The exact mix was varied to give a more natural stone colour). It needed up to three coats to get a good even coverage.

I have also washed the whole structure with a wash of five parts distilled water and five parts Klear, with a spot of flow improver and a dash of dark brown and black acrylic paint.

The paint was bought from Hobbycraft, Droitwich (The Webbs Garden Centre Store) for 95p per bottle - very good value for terrain painting! The basecoating has taken about 3 hours work over a period of one week, as I have had to wait for the paint to dry in the cold and wet weather.

I realise that the whole project is well behind schedule, but I am pleased that it is still moving along and keeping me interested.

Tony

2 comments:

Eli Arndt said...

I swear by craft paints for terrain painting and even for some miniatures painting. After spending lots of money on minis paints, I am finding I can get just about the same results with less expense for most colors bought as craft paints.

ink&ink said...

Great job! Looks like its coming along really well! Im sorry it behind schedule but im sure you'll catch up soon because it is looking really good!

That is a really good price for Anita's Acrylic Craft Paint i buy it for about 100% more when its on SALE. That's ridiculous, and i thought i was getting a good price! Some places just allow themselves to mark the prices up too much.

I'm waiting for my project to dry in cold and wet weather too. I put it next to the heater once in a while so that it drys up a lot faster. and then when its sunny i put it outside.

Thanks for posting tony!

-Bella
HP Laptop Parts