Sunday, 28 August 2016

Trolka Thug - part four



The model has been both gloss varnished (for strength) and matt varnished (for the look or finish) before I added a couple of static grass tufts over superglue.

As stated earlier, I think I could have done a better job on the painting, but I can see Giles being used in various gaming roles. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley!

Tony

Saturday, 27 August 2016

Trolka Thug - part three



The Trolka Thug fully painted. I just need to varnish and add some decoration to the base. I would freely admit, not one of my best, but I did enjoy both converting and painting this single figure.


I think I'll call him Giles.

Tony

Thursday, 25 August 2016

RAF Cosford



Earlier this week Sue and I took our guests to RAF Cosford. It's the second time this year that I have visited but it was so much more fun with young guests who were visiting for the first time.

I took these images of 'What-If' Aircraft.












On the day we were visiting, there was a gathering of Ford Capris, I estimate there were between 40 and 50 cars on display. The Ford Capri (and particularly the Mk I) was The Iconic sports car of my teenage years.




Finally, we have me at the controls of the Jet Provost, once again I had to duck to get into the cockpit!


Tony

Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Trolka Thug - part two



The converted model was undercoated with both black and dark brown spray paints and the flesh areas built up from Snakebite Leather with Snakebite/Skull White highlights. The nose was given a very ruddy glow!

I choose a bottle green uniform with white facings.


The crumpled top hat was painted dark grey.


Tony

Tuesday, 23 August 2016

The Marshmallow Catapult - Evolution



For the last three days Sue's brother has been up visiting with his Grandchildren. I set up a Marshmallow Catapult Challenge that quickly developed into a major arms race. Here are just some of the models we built.....

Details of how to build your own can be found on the Internet - here is one link.





This final model was so powerful that we were squelching mini marshmallow on the Artex ceiling!

Sue banned us from using it.


I hope you enjoyed it Joe, Summer and Raffi.

Tony

Friday, 19 August 2016

Flintloque Trolka Thug



Taking a break from producing magazine articles and working on various model making commissions, I thought I would start work on this Flintloque Trolka model that was originally sculpted by Rob Alderman.

I believe it is a Trolka thug but am unable to find it in the Alternative Armies catalogue - any help would be appreciated.

As is the norm for my personal Flintloque figures, the basic sculpt has been modified with a larger top hat, turnbacks and various small detail.

I have mounted the large lump of lead on to a 2p coin and built up the groundwork with Milliput before adding additional texture with sand over uPVA glue.


I am still not certain what colour uniform I will choose, but promise to keep the Blog updated with developments.

Tony

Wednesday, 17 August 2016

The Tower House



The images featured here show the initial steps in the construction of a scratch-built model house. I have shown them to illustrate how I approach building a model, but also to show how the model takes on a life of it's own and can grow or develop organically, sometimes over a very long period.

In the first image you see a very simple planning sketch. The illustration was based on but not slavishly copied from a Gary Chalk illustration I found on the Internet. It was to be a 'proof of concept' sketch but became the basis of this model.

Image Two - The cardboard core constructed from waste corrugated cardboard and glued together with my hot glue gun.


Image Three - I found the first model a little to small and have bulked-out the dimensions with more corrugated cardboard cladding as well as adding the window openings. The newspaper strips have been added over uPVA glue to reinforce the structure.


Image Four - The lower walls were covered in DAS modelling clay.


Image Five - The model sat for some time on the shelf, as I was both working on other projects and I was not sure how I was going to proceeded with the stonework - here was a model that I was not sure I wanted to continue with.

The stone blocks have been engraved with the tip of a scalpel and then enlarged with a large needle. The stone texture was added with a wire brush. The model went back on to the 'To-Do' shelf.....


Image Six - The recent warm weather meant that I was back to sitting outside the shed-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden rather than inside and I thought it was about time I decided to do something with this model.

In a major turn-around I have added Blue Foam discs to the side and rear and built a ruined stone tower, this meant major surgery on the card core and a complete re-think on the style and use of the model house. The timber cladding is cut from strips of scrap wood (the wood from a fruit and veg packing case picked up for free at a local farmers market) and the 'daub' areas again modelled from DAS over a layer of uPVA glue.


Image Seven - The stonework has been 'painted' with watered-down DAS (DAS, uPVA glue and water) to add some stone texture to the Blue Foam.


And the model (one that was started over six months ago) has now moved back to the main workbench to become something special, special but completely different to the original design sketch.

There is still a lot to do on this model, but I would hope that regular readers and followers will find this series of images of interest.

I am currently working on a long-term commission producing a whole range of Fantasy buildings and terrain pieces which will be part of a Kickstarter campaign. Hopefully I will be able to give further details very soon.

Maybe this Tower House will be part of this Kickstarter campaign!

Tony